Changes in Income

If your income changes, it is important to report the change to Boston Housing Authority (BHA). Changes in income affect your rent amount. 

Income Decrease

If your income decreases, it is important to report this right away to BHA. The sooner you report your income decrease, the earlier your rent will be adjusted. It is a good idea to report income changes in writing, and keep a copy of what you submitted with the date on it. BHA must verify the rent decrease and will then process the change. In some cases, it may be that you are temporarily without income, but are waiting for a benefit that may give you income retroactively (such as when you apply for unemployment or TAFDC). BHA is required to make the rent change effective the month you reported the change (if you reported it in the first 15 days of the month) or the first of the next month (if you reported it after the 15th).

Income Increase

Per the BHA's public housing lease, residents have an obligation to immediately report any increase in income if you last reported “zero income.” BHA requires public housing tenants to immediately report any increase in income of $200/month or more from what they last reported.  Income increases of less than $200/month may be reported to management at your next scheduled certification appointment.

How to Report Income Changes 

Income changes should be reported to your management office staff. If no one is available to meet with you immediately, you should ask for an appointment. You can ask for a copy of the information you provided for your records. 

Stay connected and up to date